Adopting a holistic approach to motherhood means seeing your child (and yourself ) as a whole person, body, mind & soul. Looking at your children through this lens offers a completely different perspective on common parenting concerns, such as behaviour, illness, learning, relationships etc
In my experience there are 4 main truths that stand out for me as a holistic mama. See if you agree!
- When we are in Alignment, parenting is much easier
When we are out of alignment we have no energy, we feel tired all the time. Everything is a struggle. Everything is irritating. We fulfil our parenting obligations with resentment.
Conversely when we in alignment we have more energy. We can think clearly, see solutions and find it easy to be more patient & kind. We experience more joy & ease.
With this knowledge surely it makes sense then to prioritise our own alignment! This looks different for everyone but these are my favourite ways to stay in alignment
- Go in Nature
- Practice Yoga/Tai Chi
- Follow my Joy
- Prioritise 'me' time
- Get Energy Healing
- When our Children are in Alignment parenting is much easier
Looking at my child through an energetic lens completely transformed my interpretation of what was going on. Before learning this, I might have said My child is naughty, cheeky, hard work, spoilt, demanding etc…..
I now know that these are merely symptoms of energetic misalignment, most likely caused by physical or emotional shock. These are the some of the ways I support my children to help them stay in alignment
- Spend time in Nature
- Use Energy Healing if needed
- Encourage my children to follow their joy!
- Children have an Amazing Immune System
A sick child is not a sign of parenting failure- it's normal! When we can support our children to fight infection themselves, their immune system will be even stronger. Changing your perspective on sickness can really help alleviate the stress around it. For Example:
- If your child has a temperature, rejoice that their immune system alarm is working
- If your child has a rash, coughing, vomiting or diarrhea, rejoice that their body is able to expel whatever shouldn’t be there
- If your child has excess mucus, rejoice that the body created the mucus to capture the invaders
- If your child is sleeping a lot, rejoice that the energy is going to healing
Learning how to use natural solutions such as essential oils and energy healing was one of the best things I’ve ever done and I whole heartedly encourage all mothers to do the same. I remember when my girls were small, if they were sick, it honestly felt like the end of the world to me. I felt helpless, useless and afraid.
I now view illness as just another aspect of life that comes and goes. But nobody wants to see their child suffering so being able to relieve discomfort and speed up the healing process is a massive gift in my eyes
My tips for supporting your child through illness are:
- Expect to be needed for at least 10 days. (Children often get sick quickly and get better quickly but I find having this timeline in my head takes pressure off)
- Use Essential Oils to support your child’s immune system (You can view a FREE Essential Oils Class here)
- Leave a window open if possible
- Encourage them to drink water
- Encourage rest
Simple strategies that work.
- Stress is the NO 1 cause of illness
The holistic mama knows that if we can reduce the stress levels, we can stay as healthy as possible. Awareness is everything and having tools to move our nervous systems out of stress response, can hugely support our goal of a happy health aligned home.
There are many ways to address stress but here are my favourites:
- Emotional Freedom Technique (Tapping) is fantastic for adults and Children( Link here to download a free app)
- Essential Oils can be easily used for Emotional Support (Click here to view my to Instagram video on this topic)
- Prioritising Joy & fun is possibly the best thing we can do!
Do you want to know the best thing about being a holistic mama? Your children will see themselves through this lens. Isn't that wonderful? And as they see you look after your own alignment, following your joy and using natures gifts as medicine, they will do the same going forward in life. That feels good to me!