How are you really? 4 steps for tuning in to the truth of how you feel
We humans are masters at distraction! We love our phones, our Netflix, our food, our coffee, our chats with friends. We make lists. We keep busy. We avoid sitting still, because for many of us, facing the truth of how we feel can be quite overwhelming.
The problem is, that if we wish to live in alignment, we need to use our emotions for guidance - much like the Sat Nav in the car. Feelings of contraction and resistance are indicators that we have travelled off our path. In contrast, feelings of expansion, inspiration and joy are road marks that we are on the right path. But we can't know this if we don't tune to the truth of how we feel.
Here are 4 steps to help you tune in:
STEP 1: Breath (Connect with your spirit)
Breath in through your nose (smell the roses) for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Breath out through your mouth (blow out the candles) for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
STEP 2: Ground (Bring your energy home)
- Imagine that you are a tree.
- The roots of your tree are growing out from the base of your feet.
- Watch them as they grow deeper and deeper into the earth.
- With every exhale your roots travel down deeper and deeper until they reach the very core of the earth.
- See the roots wrap around the core and energy starts to come up from the core through your roots.
- With every inhale the energy comes up further and further, getting closer and closer, until the energy reaches the soles of your feet.
- Feel the energy as it comes up to your ankles, up to your knees, up to your hips, your shoulders, your head.
- You are grounded.
STEP 3: Ask (Be curious)
Place your hand on your heart
- How am I feeling right now. Answer out loud.
A blocked throat chakra is like having a cork in a bottle. When we speak our truth we release the cork and allow the genie (spirit) to be free
- What do I need right now? Answer out loud
STEP 4: Self Compassion
Sometimes as we acknowledge how we feel the judging mind starts to speak up. Ask her to step back and invite in the compassionate voice to speak.
What would you like to hear?
What would you say to a child or a friend in the same situation?
If you have experienced Trauma, you may need the support of a professional who specialises holding space for you to experience big feelings safely.
If you'd like a tool to help you navigate from awareness to self compassion, I recommend learning about Tapping, also known as Emotional Freedom Technique. You can read my blog on Tapping (EFT) here.
The more we practice recognising the truth of how we feel the more we can live in alignment.